Here we are now on week #7 of the ONE ROOM CHALLENGE, and at first, I thought 8 weeks was a lot of time for a little Entryway. Now am so grateful that we still have an additional week.
My project has grown a bit in scope because of the proverbial…. “Well, since we are doing this… we might as well do that…”
As I mentioned in the last post, I decided to add wood panels to the bottom half of the wall behind the front door. This in turn brought up another set of tasks that were time consuming- covering nail holes on the wood, sanding, masking to paint the vertical wood panels. I decided on black and then realized how silly the miniature baseboard under the vertical wood panels looked… so I painted the baseboard on that wall only black too. This in turn required more masking and care while painting. Now it looks as if the panels go all the way to the floor- in future, I may do to the bottom like the top- see picture…
(Why do builders use tiny baseboards? 2” high… really? Why? Might as well not bother.)
Decided to paint the inside of the front door because it was peeling. Although I could have just photographed the opposite wall for the challenge where most of the changes are occurring, I asked myself, “if you leave it as is, will you really get back to it soon?” NO! – So, while all the supplies are out let’s get that done too.
This is one thing I typically discuss with clients. Talking about the project as a whole from start to finish is so much more than just discussing what is written in a scope of work. It is also about going over each step to see how one task impacts the other- which, by the way, is typically, yes, it will. More about this on another blog post.
Then there is the piece that will live above the little green table (now known as the 100-Greens table). Should it be a mirror? If so, I have not found the ideal one yet. The one I had in mind I realized it is likely too big in scale for the table, and it will cover most of the wallpaper inside that little nook. The focal point of the project is the wallpaper and the awesome green table against it. Additionally, the artwork displayed in an alternative way makes the otherwise lackluster entrance of your typical condo/apartment into an interesting and cool space. So, I must find the key piece for above the table but will continue to try to experiment using items that I already have first.
So… I went shopping in my storage and found a collection of mirrors that I had used before in a dark moody bathroom. All the mirrors are gold and so is the mirror that used to live on that wall above the former black table. Gold is not going to work in this space as I am going for organic, modern, airy, and minimalistic with a bit of color. Colors that must also be organic and earthy. Perhaps I am just dreaming, but I think this look is right up @ApartmentTherapy ‘s alley, because it is our home of seven years and we have lived here as though we own it by treating it as if it were our own.
Anyways, back to the mirrors I found. There is one that may work, it is a sunburst type of mirror. The actual mirror part is small and round but the sunburst sort of resembles the light fixture I want to add right above the table. Remember? That was something else I added too. But since gold is not a color that will work for this space, I decided to paint it.
Then came the dilemma of what color? Black? Too matchy-matchy with the light fixture and perhaps too stark?… I don’t know at this time if the sunburst mirror won’t end up black (which was part of the original plan for the original mirror). I am making my decisions calmly and allowing the process to evolve with ease. That has been the beauty of doing this project over an 8-weeks’ time frame. Ease… some pressure, but not enough for me to have to make rash decisions in haste.
After painting the mirror, I noticed that the paint itself makes it more obvious that the mirror is not high-end…it is a bit rough around the edges. I am thinking to add wooden beads… (“Beads” she says?) … to cover the roughness of the metal around the edges. You will see what I mean in a pic of the finished product, because right now, I don’t think I want to show you how bad it is! Or should I?
That is it folks. Loads of progress… not perfection quite yet.
Here is what I have left to do:
- Complete all painting tasks:
- Paint inside of front door
- Clear coat the wood finish
- Paint the walls above the wallpaper (I noticed too late they needed a little TLC after the wallpaper was already completed- this should ideally have happened before the wallpaper.
- Complete the mirror
- Decide on which art will live on the ledge for now. The artwork can change as often as I want (which is the beauty of having a picture ledge to display art).
- Style the area. Now I need nicer beach bags that go well with the new color scheme!
I am watching daily for my Pampas grass which was supposed to be delivered last Monday, but they are missing- not here, and I am not sure if I will get the replacement delivered on time.
- Photograph. Yea!
OK that is it for now.