Hope you are as excited as I am to see the transformations that all the guests for the ONE ROOM CHALLENGE have planned for the Spring 2021 challenge.
I am certain that among the hundreds of participants you will find at least a handful of redesigned and styled rooms that speak to you, that inspire you. You may want to redesign a room in your own home, say you want to design and style your master bedroom, or your living room. You will find plenty of talented design enthusiast and experts taking part in this challenge who are working on the exact same room you want to redo in your home. So, you can draw inspiration from anyone of the projects shared on the ONE ROOM CHALLENGE website. https://www.oneroomchallenge.com/blog/orcspring2021wk2
Browse through the hundreds of projects shown and you will see the amazing spaces people create. I invite you to see and to take on a project of your own.
If want a tip on how to start re-designing a room and transforming it into the room of your dreams, this is what I would suggest.
- Start with a plan, not necessarily a drawn plan but let’s say a list. A list of the changes you want to make, what are you going to need, what is possible within your budget. Brain dump!
- Then compartmentalize the brain dump into categories. For example some of the headings could be; CHANGES, TO BUY, TO REFURBISH OR REUSE, WHO IS DOING WHAT (if you are lucky to have help), TIMELINE etc.
- Now make a list of the order in which each task has to be done/ completed. For example; Empty the room, select the items you are keeping, get rid of items that you no longer want to use, clean the room, patch holes, prime, then paint, then the flooring(if you are changing it) , window treatments … and so on.
- Before you pull the trigger and buy items for your new room to be, I suggest that you do a lot of online research. Find out where is that item offered, what are the specks, how long before they ship, look at reviews, do a little digging then make the decision.
- Once you have selected all the items, now make a PowerPoint (use the application you are comfortable with) and place your items on a slide or several depending on how detail you want your vision to be. Place all the items/elements on the slide in a similar layout as the room. For example; if you are redesigning a bedroom lay the rug first probably horizontally, next add the bed in the middle and overlapping the rug a bit, then the nightstands/or table on each side of the bed. Then the lamps, curtains, accessories etc. Pull photos of the colors, textures and finishes you are using and put them together on the slide so that you have visuals to help you design and style the dream room you are after.
- Execute! add your personal touch and style make it into a space that is #uniquelyyours.
SOME OF THE ITEMS I AM USING.
For this week, I recorded an amateur video to show you what I am doing in my chosen project – AN OUTDOOR ROOM. The way that space looks right now, what we plan to change and the why? The walkthrough video of my current patio/terrace was a bit too long so I have broken into four videos, to show you what I am doing to redesigning, transforming and making my Terrace AN OUTDOOR ROOM.
So far, we have accomplished the following:
- We added pavers to add a seating area.
- We added a cabinet to store glassware and other patio bits and pieces. As opposed to the Bar Cart we had. See week one why we switched to a cabinet.
- We painted the shelf black.
- We are working on a “box” to hide the hose and the hose base.
- Furniture and some accessories have arrived.
- Plants have been organized, but I still want to add a bit more color.
Over the next week I hope to accomplish the following:
- Sand the butcherblock top, clean it and apply protector.
- Work on the light cables and other smaller projects.
- Add color with plants.
See you back here next week with more progress.