Wow, a week goes by fast. I feel like it was yesterday when I was typing week #3 progress.
Anyhow, I am grateful to be able to check in with you and tell you about the ins and outs of the makeover- the progress, the challenges, and the pivoting I have to do as items you order online are sometimes not what you expect. So, between returns and new purchases, we have used up our budget, and as of today 10/28/2020, I do not have any accessorizing items. I could shop around the condo and use things from other rooms, but I do not typically have a tone of extra accessories as minimalism works best for my home.
The progress this week was focused on the dresser and the arch I wanted to paint as an accent in the room. I took the inspiration from Pinterest and IG – I have seen so many people do this with color blocking that when I was pondering on what I could do with that empty, kind of unusable wall space, an arch came to mind. The dresser makeover seems so simple (similar to the nightstands), but the difference is huge. I wiped the dresser really well and started applying the peel and stick wood grain black paper. Not bad- a bit easier than wallpaper in the entryway. However, if I were to do this portion again, I would search for a paper that was a bit thicker. The paper I purchased was thinner than wallpaper, and since it is black, any scratches and/or smoothing out that is not done gently and with the right tool, will wrinkle the paper wrinkles and leave marks.
If you would like to see where I started and where we are headed on this project please, check out Week 1 progress, Week #2, Week #3, Week #4, Week # 5 on the blog and see how far we have come.
INSPIRATION ARCH FROM PINTEREST MY ARCH
Having said that, these are pieces that don’t have a lot of traffic – (use) – we have a lamp on top of the dresser now that I am hoping to find the right- plug in hanging light fixture to take it’s place to give more use of the surface of the dresser to style it. We need surface space and square footage, and since I cannot do anything about the square footage, I am highly focused on finding space and creative ways to store things while still having a stylish home with plenty of “white space” where the eye can rest. That is one of the reasons I don’t have tones of accessories. As it is, I feel this condo has a lot more furniture and excess than it should.
Some images from the progress.
Another reason to clear the top of the dresser is to allow me the opportunity to style the top of the dresser and have room for my essential oil diffuser, a pink Flamingo Piggy bank (in England we call it a money box- why are the Piggy banks? This is a Flamingo bank). Anyhow, It is a fun item from my old office. On the dresser, I also have books and journals that will now live on the shelf that will go above the lamp by the bed. So, my overall plan is to have a decorative vase with grasses and Eucalyptus branches – something earthy, clean, and unexpected- to infuse some interest in another wise non-descript bedroom.
I also must clear space in my closet- which is a small reach in closet– to hide my laundry basket in there. As cute as it is being gray and white like the coverlet, I probably will not want it in front of my arch where it lives now. Clearing the closet of anything I have not worn in a year or that I do not love is so liberating! At the same time, it makes me feel guilty for being “wasteful” so, I would love to donate these almost like-new items to someone who could make use of them. Unfortunately, I am discovering that a lot of donation places are closed.
On to the plan for next week.
The items to address next week are:
- The arch. I will install the picture ledge and attach my jewelry hanging wooden strip. I will also need to frame the artwork that is going on the ledge. I plan to finesse the edge of the arch with white and add a bit more color to the arch.
- Complete the dresser transformation by finishing the install of the wood grain paper. I will need to sand the patched holes left from removing the old hardware and drill correctly spaced holes for the new hardware install. I will also take the time to reline the inside of the drawers as the existing drawer liner is about as old as the dresser.
- I also must frame a couple of other artwork pieces, and by that, I mean photos that we have taken of things and places we like. Some artwork is purchased, but I like to mix it up.
- The rugs/runners I ordered for the sides of the bed are in. When we step out of bed at night, there will be something soft, fuzzy, and warm on the floor…. although not the pattern I wanted, they are pretty nice and will go great with the bedding.
After I complete the tasks mentioned, I will start gathering the styling items, including the hanging plug-in light fixture (if I find the right one). That fixture has proven to be hardest to find because my budget is small and dwindling fast. I may consider use the drum of the current lamp and adapt it to be a plug-in light, but I am not currently convinced.
Okay, that is it for now! I cannot wait to complete this project and have a lovely, calming bedroom where I can rest at night. I mean, it is comfortable now, but not decorated, designed, or styled the way I prefer- right now, it is just a bedroom to sleep in.
This is where I am headed folks…